Thursday 8 September 2011

Participation Two Blog :Acvtivity Analysis

Here is my first blog posting for Participation in Occupation Two. Our task this semester is to do an activuty analysis on an activity that we do in our everyday lives. My activity is: composing music on my harp.


The craft of composing music comes very naturally to me (although I cannot write music ... I learn and play by ear), it is something I hold very close to my heart, because my compositions an expression of my feelings and are usually for someone or about someone (like many musicians and composers!).


What does composing music mean to me?


Self-expression
It is a way of story-telling
Escape and relaxation
A challenge


How might I use this activity in Occupational Therapy practice?


I seek to incorporate my harp into every placement I have; and have been very successful thus far. Harp playing and/or song composition has many benefits for the clients' I have worket with so far (no matter what their physical, cognitive or mental functioning).


I have used it to allow clients to express themselves via the harp.
It can bring about motivation in clients to reengage or engage in music.
It can be used to utilize fine motor skills and motor coordination.
It can be used to stimulate the senses.
It can be used as a relaxation tool.
It can be used to trigger memories, discussions and social interactions.
It can be used one on one and in group settings.


Practicle considerations:


For me to engage in this activity for 2 hours each week, I must ensure that I manage my time well so that I have time to sit down and let my feelings turn into music. This means that I must balance my study, work and social life in order to make sure I have some 'me' time. I need a room that is well-lit and with no distractions and preferably a window with a nice view.


At my parents' home I find it very easy to compose, because the house is on the harbour front and I can just sit in the garden and play away.


I also need to make sure my harp is in tune, otherwise the dischord will sound unappealing to me when I try to create some music. I need to replace a few strings too, something I have been meaning to do for a long while; so this is good motivation!


I look forward to this analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment